Some assembly required

This blog is about unimplemented ideas. At least until they get ticked off; I suppose a few eventually will have implementations too, but fresh posts never will. Because that's the primary purpose of this blog: keeping track of ideas I'd like to dive into, or problems I'd like to see solved. Feel free to join me in implementing, or further developing these ideas. I don't mind working solo, but it's a whole lot more fun working in concert!

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Google Analytics Greasemonkey spy script

Here's a useless idea that struck me: people use Google Analytics to spy on their visitors. It's quite possible to spy back, finding out which sites are tied to the same Google account. Oh, lookie -- this site has one too. (However did that happen? :-) Each new site using it gets a var _uacct = "UA-[account id]-[site id]"; "cookie" which is used to identify the statistics data flow back to Google.

So by gathering up these cookies, tying them to the site they were found at, eventually you will be able to detect which sites are tied to the same account.

Given this much text to explain the thought, it suddenly feels like a very silly idea, but what the heck, this place is for ideas first, filtering and/or implementation later anyway. Perhaps I ought to invite a slew of other idea generators here too, by the way?

« Home