Some assembly required

This blog is about unimplemented ideas. At least until they get ticked off; I suppose a few eventually will have implementations too, but fresh posts never will. Because that's the primary purpose of this blog: keeping track of ideas I'd like to dive into, or problems I'd like to see solved. Feel free to join me in implementing, or further developing these ideas. I don't mind working solo, but it's a whole lot more fun working in concert!

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Foldable Blogger comments

I have seemed to attract quite a few long in-depth comments, which is good. My blog template, however, isn't -- at least not for catering these. A better style would be (in javascript enabled browsers) to

  • fold the comments,

  • or better still, all comments already seen on prior visits (2005-12-22 addition),

  • until clicking the "comments" link, or an arrow icon next to it.

  • This brings up -- in the event of a single comment: the comment, properly unfolded.

  • In the event of many comments: a list of all commentee names, the dates and times they were written, and why not how many paragraphs the comment body holds (split innerHTML on /(<br>){2,}/i, and the length length property will hold the number of paragraphs).

  • Add little fold/unfold arrows, just like the backlinks,

  • and a fold/unfold all arrow for the Comments header.

1 Comments:

Blogger Singpolyma said...

As I'm sure you've noticed, this is mostly how my blog words, except for the folding each comment into a commentor name... my code is taken from the blogger hacks section of the help, but I need to update it to a more reasonable code, since the way it works is kind of ugly

 

Post a Comment ...in a popup window

« Home